Re: AW: Rogues' Gallery?...

   Thanks to you and all of the others who have been nice enough to keep
me
up to date!  :)

   Much appreciated....

y'all rock!!!

Smiles,

CQ

At 12:06 AM 6/14/2007 +0200, you wrote:

> >                            Hey All, am wondering what the
> > current rogues'
> > gallery of loopers is like these days?...
>
>Just look here... http://www.y2k6loopfest.com/images.html
>
> >    Am actually wondering what the current equip  scene is?
>
>It's all laptop these days, or at least dominated by them. The laptop
>users
>themselves are split into two main camps: MAX/MSP and Mobius.
>Apart from that, there's of course still the old crowd using their
>Repeaters, EDPs, Looperlatives and whatnot.
>
>I found this article I wrote (but never finished) about the gear scene at
>the loopfest - enjoy!
>
>         Rainer
>
>This article is about the gear setup people use when playing something
>like.well, the Y2K6 International Live Looping Festival Santa Cruz/CA
>(www.y2k6loopfest.com, in case somebody hasn't noticed). This article does
>not claim to have any statistical relevance - mainly because I was out
>cold
>during one day of the main festival and attended the kyberjam on the
>second.
>But here we go:
>
>1.      Nice Rack:
>These are the people with a big 19'' equipment rack, which is usually
>complemented by a choice of foot controllers. Lots of carrying, relatively
>long setup time, great fun!
>This may be combined with one or several instrument (guitar) amplifiers
>(combos or really big ones), and even with some foot pedals.
>Great examples include Ted Killian, Bill Walker and Mir-O.
>
>2.      Pedal Board Rider:
>Lots of pedals (and sometimes not-pedal stuff, like handheld devices) are
>mounted on a big board. One cable goes from the guitar, bass or similar
>instrument into this board, another one (or a pair) goes out to FOH or to
>an
>instrument amp.
>These are usually slightly lighter than the big racks and much quicker to
>setup, simply because there are so few connections to make.
>Great examples: Ryussei Hattori, Mando-Man (seems to be a Japanese
>phenomenon).
>
>3.      Laptop Nerd:
>A laptop, and some other stuff. It makes sense to sub-divide that group
>into
>two different sub-groups:
>For one, there are the pure setups. There is the laptop, there are some
>MMI
>elements (foot controller, faderbox), and there is an audio/MIDI
>interface.
>But there are no external effect boxes and no external electronic
>instruments.
>More often however you'll find group two: hybrid setup where the
>laptop+MMI
>is complemented with one or several "outlaptop" devices. A guitar
>floorboard, an effects processor or something similar.
>The nerd crew had shown some tremendous growth in the last year. While in
> [...]

---
   View my on-line portfolio at:

http://www.onemodelplace.com/CaraQuinn

   "The only things I really think are important, are love, and each
other.  -Then, anything is possible..."

http://home.earthlink.net/~cara-quinn