Re: The Artist's Right To Be Boring (was: Re: the best.... theworst....)

Per,

True words there.

In my experience, it is impossible to depend upon or predict success when
you start out with a blank slate for every performance.

Not many of us are THAT brilliant.

I'm certainly not.

I fall flat on my face about as many times as I do well.

That's what makes doing this improv thing that some of us do sooooo very
hard.

The risk of being an abject failure is all too very real . . . and the
consequences painful.

Even when the audience and promoter(s) themselves are very forgiving it
can be devastating to not live up to ones own expectations.

Many positivly disposed listeners may just figure that it's "abstract" or
"avant garde" or "new" and not realize that it also can be truly BAD as
well.

I have to admit it, I am actually bad more times than I like to think
about.

Artists need to be accorded a "right to be awful" from time to time . . .
some of us more than others.

Cheers,

tEd ® kiLLiAn

"Different is not always better, but better is always different"

Flux Aeterna:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=6378076

Also check out the BEMF 1 CDs at:
http://www.boisemusicians.com/experimental/cd.htm

http://www.pfmentum.com/flux.html
http://www.CDbaby.com/cd/tedkillian
http://www.guitar9.com/fluxaeterna.html
http://www.garageband.com/artist/ArsOcarina
http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=2845073
http://www.netmusic.com/web/album.aspx?a_id=CBNM_17314
http://www.loopers-delight.com/cgi-bin/profiles.cgi?step=view_profile&id=121197000042

and Viztas. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Blah, blah, blah. So???