Re: Flow and Electronic Musical Instrument Design

On 25 maj 2007, at 00.05, Matt Davignon wrote:

> When I made the switch from cassette 4-track to computer hard disc
> recording, I quickly found that my recorded productivity took a sudden
> and steep downturn.

Matt, I had exactly the same experience. I was very productive with
my f-track cassette recorder but never really caught up with computer
based hard disc systems. So I had to start composing more or less in
my head so I had most parts finished when I started recording. But
the music sucked from the composition based method... which of course
might say more about me than about composing as a method to create
music ;-))  But since 1983 I had found a couple of digital delays and
a harmonizer that let me do live looping and that was way more
musically satisfying. So I turned more into looping than multitrack
recording. I sometimes also used two reel2reel tape recorders, but
that was not a very portable setup.  When the Lexicon Jamman was
released wanted to get one but couldn't afford it so I used to rent
one on a regular basis. Enter the EDP, wow - like heaven :-)

> I feel like my current instrument (drum machine) is a great foot in
> both worlds - I can make complex electronic sounds as much as anyone,
> but I also get that expressiveness and immediate sound-to-gesture
> relationship of 'real' instruments.

You should stick to that old stuff and keep using it as your
instrument! If you should get into laptops it would maybe make most
sense to simply put the laptop on the table as a passive recorder of
what you're doing with those drum machine buttons etc. Use the lappy
to assemble your most inspired performances.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen