cheapest unit or way to sync to the EDP?

So, thanks to the helpful advice from this list a while ago, I finally
bit the bullet and bought a used EDP (from British Audio through Ebay)
and of course could not be happier with the decision. Now, however,
I'm trying to get a musical partner to loop with me, and I'm concerned
about being able to sync our loops, and he's concerned about not
having the money to shell out for a great looper. He currently has the
digitech jamman, and I can't think of any way to really sync with that
(any ideas?).

The only idea I've had so far is the Boss RC-2, which quantizes to
itself via an internal click track, and an a/b box, so he could set
the tempo on his unit and we could route that to the beat sync in the
EDP, and I could start a loop that was synced to that (I'm just
assuming here that this would work without a hitch - I haven't synced
the EDP to anything yet). Then he could mute that annoying click, a/b
the sound to his amp, and start his loop, which would quantize to the
now silent click, which is already synced with my loop via the beat
sync.

That's the best I can come up with, but I don't know much of anything
about older loopers which may be available on Ebay and may offer
better results for cheaper, the same price, or negligably more. This
set up mentioned above would run about 220 with the a/b box. I don't
know a thing about software loopers, and am in general a little
computer-phobic when it comes to playing live, although my friend may
be open to the idea if anyone has a better idea than the rc-2.

THANKS!

Eben