Re: OT: Busking--it's hard for everyone

At 11:14 AM -0400 4/9/07, Jim Goodin wrote:

>Most times the experience is more about doing it than income

I agree.  That's why I play the Farmers' Market near my home, which
is a scheduled gig but pretty much the same as busking because almost
no one is there to hear me play.  (I do have a few fans who show up
when they know I'm going to be there, but still.)

>  however I have had a few nice things over the years.  A few years
>ago a guy was watching me and appeared to be sketching.  He put a
>caricture and a note down in my case to call him if I played
>weddings so that led to a booking.  Have sold a few CD's and got a
>few bucks.  One neat personal experienced happened one evening.  I
>had quit and was walking out of the subway in Brooklyn.  About a
>block later a woman passed by me and said, 'that was really lovely
>what you played...'  Though those don't pay the rent in a sense
>that's why we do it...

Nice stories.

--

David Gans - david@trufun.com or david@gdhour.com
Truth and Fun, Inc., 484 Lake Park Ave. #102, Oakland CA 94610-2730