Re: OT: Busking--it's hard for everyone

Quoting Travis Hartnett <tiktok@sprintmail.com>:

> What if one of the greatest musicians in the world
> played some of the best music ever written on one of the best
> instruments ever made...in the subway?
>

>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html?hpid=artslot

This article showed up on the electro-music forums yesterday and I've
had some time to digest it.

The people who recognized the talent for what it was were people who
had already cultivated an appreciation for music.

For instance, what if a restaurant substituted a $300-per-bottle wine
for their house wine.  How many people would notice that they were
drinking a rare, expensive wine?  I would suppose that the only people
who would notice would be those who have cultivated taste and
knowledge about wine.

The Bach sounded wonderful in the video and somehow it added something
wonderful to the place, even though most people didn't stop to
acknowledge it.  Wish I had been there.

I found that I could take heart from this.  Every week I play the
organ for around 1000 people and in general I will get a few
compliments -- generally from people who have traveled to Europe and
heard organ music in great cathedrals there.  So, my ratio of
listeners to compliments is about the same as the violinist.  Not bad!
  :)