Mojo?

Every instrument I have has mojo. Does it matter if anyone else believes that, recognises it, thinks I'm nuts? Of course not. None of them are vintage, all are very very special. All feel imbued with a sense of care, craftsmanship, passion and a desire to be used creatively. The longer I play them, the greater the feeling that something of me lives in them is there. A couple of times in my life I've watched someone else do a gig on my bass - first time it looked ridiculous (some rock-dude in a CCM band from the US at a gig in France where the airline had lost his bass) the last time it was amazing (Trip Wamsley using my bass when he came to England for some shows a year or so ago) - I'm sure Trip left some of his mojo behind... :o)

As for the vintage things - I've never ever heard a new bass that sounded like an early 60s fender. Not better or worse, just different. If I want that sound, it's got to be vintage. I haven't got one cos that's a lot of greens to wrap up in an instrument, but one my very short list of instruments I still want to own, a 64-66 P-bass is right up there... The value is driven by two things - scarcity and demand... it's simple. Sales people will of course drive the 'collectability' and that means that players have to spend well over the odds to get that sound, but compare it to a great violin. We're still talking pocket change...

big love,

Steve
www.stevelawson.net - site
www.stevelawson.net/zencart/ - shop