Re: Linking Multiple EDPs for Group Looping/Improv

[Kris]
 > It would be cool if Mobius has a features like this, to be able to
 > connect multiple Mobius apps on many laptops.

[Per]
 > So if you MIDI Clock sync a bunch of EDPs running Mobius it equals a
 > bunch of brother synced EDP racks ;-))

Yes, in one configuration, you have a drum machine or another master
clock source, send it to a MIDI splitter to route the clocks to each
laptop, then set each Mobius to Sync=In.  The downside here is that
the looper doesn't define the tempo.

Another configuration that is more like EDP brother sync is to
designate one laptop as the master and have the MIDI out from that
laptop patched to the MIDI in of the other laptops.  The master uses
Sync=Out and the others use Sync=In.  As soon as the master loop is
recorded, it defines the tempo and starts sending MIDI clocks that the
others can sync to.

This is not nearly as elegant as EDP brother sync though, because it
is difficult to change the master laptop.  You have to stop and change
presets so that everyone agrees who should be Sync=Out and who should
be Sync=In.  Then you have to re-cable everyone so the right MIDI out is
connected to all the MIDI ins.  If each laptop had a MIDI splitter/
merger
box you could in theory have them all connected to each other in every
possible way, but this gets complicated as the number of musicians
increases.

Something I've thought about but haven't made any progress on is
allowing Mobius instances to synchronize over an ethernet connection.
You would need a basic ethernet router (such as those you get to
share a high-speed internet connection), and one ethernet cable
for each laptop.  This would be much simpler to set up than a MIDI
network.  The Mobius instances would discover each other, and could
pass master control around without having to reconfigure.  Someday
maybe.

Jeff