loop fades (Re: RiffBox & FX-Tracker (WAS how do you correct a bad loop on stage)

> ---- Charlie Milkey <pilotcp@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> ........ i was getting frustrated by the fact that i couldn't find
>> any looper (with any
>> substantial time) that could fade out loop A while going to loop B...i
>> wanted to be able to go from--for example--a few volume swells in A
>> and then while thats fading out, start constructing a loop in E, so
>> there are no seams of dropouts......

This can be done quite easily with a Boss GigaDelay and a FS 5U pedal
set for "tap" function(though at a max time of only 23. sec).  Program
Preset slots 1, 2, 3, 4 - 23 sec. delay time/ max effect level/
3o'clock feedback setting (can be adjusted on the fly).  (I set the
presets to max delay time - it's easier to trim the loop time before
things start repeating.) Do your volume swelly thing on preset slot 1
(setting loop length with the FS pedal),  switch to preset slot 2, tap,
record, tap, layer, layer, layer... as preset 1 loop fades.  At any
time feedback on the loop your working on can be adjusted.  Caveat:
the unit only holds 1 loop in memory:  you can work on the next preset
slot (loop) as the loop in memory is doing it's thing.  When you switch
to a 3rd. preset slot to add another loop, before the initial loop is
finished fading, it will cut that initial loop off abruptly.  Also, if
you freeze the first loop (turning feedback to 100% - say a rhythmic
loop) and set up an "ambient" over top in the next preset slot, there
will be no way to fade out the initial loop except to cut it off by
switching to a third preset slot - a useful effect....  With a little
practice you get familiar with judging fade time vs loop length and can
make on the fly adjustments before moving to the next preset slot and
keep everything progressing/ evolving smoothly.  Also, it helps to play
seated so knobs/ buttons are in reach.

>> ........the jamman only allows you to stop the loop,

false - you can initiate a midi fade (short, medium, long) on the
jamman.  This can be of a frozen loop or can be initiated in record
mode after the loop length is set via tap.