re: Scary Situations

At 07:38 PM 4/11/2006, Rick wrote:
>A young man walked up to me in the middleof the song as I was
>juggling the loops (warning sign already)
>and said.   "I dig your beatboxing",   I"m a rapper,  could I do a
>piece with you?...
>It was really pretty ugly quickly and I just gave up and beatboxed
>until the festival leaders aske me to quit playing (half an hour
>earlier than I was supposed to).

This is totally Monday morning quarterbacking and I wasn't there but
if something like that happened to me, I think I would develop
equipment trouble.  Especially if there's a sound guy.  When the
sound guy came over, I'd quietly ask him to go get Security.  When
the cavalry arrived (okay, a fat guy in black with a walkie-talkie)
I'd say something like, "Gee, I'm sorry it didn't work out for you
all.  Catch you later, okay?"  The sound guy, the security guy and
you would probably be enough to convince people to go.  But then
there's teardown and the guys waiting in the parking lot.  Oh,
heck.  That's a time when it pays to have friends.  Big
friends.  Biker friends.  Who don't like hiphop.

>I, unfortunately,  have experienced similar situations a couple of
>times since then enough to have developed the prejudice that
>freestyled rappers are the most aggressive and insensitive musicians
>that I've ever played with.

Well, freestyling is a macho blood sport.  Freestyling is to singing
what boxing is to ballet.

>If someone is insensitive enough and pushy enough to come up right
>in the middle of a show it's an automatic 'no' reply from me now...

Ah, what about the folks who ask to come up when you take your break
to play _while_ you're taking your break?   That's a subtler thing
that I've been running into lately.  I'm at the point where I don't
like having someone on stage unless I know them or someone I respect
vouches for them.

Cheers,
Kevin

The Nettles: Progressive and Exciting Celtic Music
www.TheNettles.com