Re: Real-time category

Sean Echevarria wrote:
> Isn't the point that if the start or end point is incorrect and someone
> recorded the loop while say a drummer was playing, then the loop would
> drift in relation to what the drummer is playing - the drift multiplying
> as the loop repeats?  Not an issue if all tracks are recorded - but an
> issue for mixed looping and unlooped playing.

You would have the same problem with a hardware looper. Once the loop
length is set, the drummer has to follow the loop.  I don't care how
accurate the looper is, you can't tap start/end points and remain in
sync with a drummer that is keeping their own time.   Try this:
start a drum machine running with its own internal clock, now play
a phrase into your favorite hardware looper that is not physically
synchronized with the drum machine.  Unless you are unhumanly accurate
with your taps you will not create a loop that exactly the same
size as what the drum machine is playing.  They will gradually drift
out of sync.

The timing inaccuracies you may experience with a non real-time system
would be on the order of a few milliseconds added to or dropped from the
loop.
It isn't like you will loose a beat every now and then.  A good drummer
should
be able to instantly adapt to this the same way they adapt to any other
musician going out of tempo.

The point is that once the loop is captured and begins playing it will
not change, even on a non-real-time system.  Short loops will have a
predictable cadence that the musicians can adapt to.  Long loops may feel
slightly "off" at the end point, but no more so than your bass player
after a few beers.

Jeff