Re: AW: Behringer FCB 1010 or Digital Music Ground Control?

David Trenkel wrote:
> The Ground control looks very solid, and I like the size of it better.

I have both the Ground Control Pro and the Behringer and will
be selling the GCP on eBay soon.  For me, there are two crucial
issues with the GCP:

   1) you can only program 12 global momentary switches
      (8 if you also want program changes)
   2) the switches make noise

The GCP is extremely roadworthy but it makes noise.  If you're playing
live this may not be an issue but for recording with microphones
it is out of the question.

The GCP switches can be configured in two modes: to send program
changes or as "instant" switches which can send other things like
notes and continuous controllers.  For me, momentary switches that
send both a note on when pressed and note off when released is
important.  The problem is that these instant switch configurations
are global, meaning they send the same note regardless of what
"preset" you have selected.  The only thing presets do is determine
which program changes are sent for the non-instant switches.  There 12
switches so you can send at most 12 notes.  If you also want to send
program changes you have to reserve the bottom row of 4 switches,
leaving only 8 instant switches to send notes.

This is the key difference between the GCP and the Rocktron
All Access.  The All Access can store different note assignments
in each preset.  It is also insanely expensive and hard to find.

With the Beheringer you have ten switches that can be programmed for
notes, and each "bank" can contain a different set of note
assignments.  This gives you the ability to send all 128 notes.
The only thing I don't like about the FCB is that notes
can only be sent on one of two global channels.  But for controlling
Live this should be fine.

If all you want to do is trigger clips, and Live can use
program changes for triggering (not sure about that), then the
GCP would be ok.  But if you want momentary switches, the GCP is
very limited.

Jeff