Re: tough crowds = big cities? kind rooms = smaller towns??

   For some strange reason alot of people seem to think musicians from
somewhere else are more significant than the local ones,seems to be true
all
over.But folks in smaller towns tend have less entertainment options and
are
less jaded. Though with internet ,cable etc such distinctions are
dissaperaring to some extent
   I generally find tough audiences boring,but for a band it's like
lifting
wieghts.The Beatles never would have gotten as good as they did if they
hadn't played the joints they did in Hamburg.And they did 5 or 6 sets a
night. Not that they were great players,but they were a great band cause
they knew how to move people,What better way top learn than on the
disinterested,if you can move them,the others are trivial. Carlos Santana
started out playing blues in Whorehouses in Tijuana.If you really beleive
people need booze to have a good time ,then I think it's a matter of using
the club gigs and disinterested audiences for exercise.In which case the
only worthwhile attitude is Take No Prisoners.     Personally I prefer to
play to the psychedelics crowd-they listen and are ready to be taken
somewhere.
But I know from experience it's possible to self promote.The idea that if
you have a draw the clubs will hire you anyway means you have to cut them
in
on the profits.If you already have a draw,why do that?
  Same with recording deals .If I own 100% of the product I only have to
sell 10% as much as the standard contracts,to make the same net.
   If I was in Boston ,where you can't spit without hitting a
college,(there
must be dozens in the greater area) I'd start doing free gigs on campuses,
appear on college radio(always make friends with station mgrs and Djs
,remember their names for later promos Personal contact can get your stuff
on the air.),and then advertise self produced events.Also student
organizations have money to promote cultural events.Student groups also
have
free or very cheap use of campus facilities,and there are often people who
are interested in learning to put on events who can work with you. People
will tend to identify with music they hear  and like during high
school/college years.This is why major labels pay close attention to
what's
happening on campuses. At early stages it's not too hard to get people to
help you fro little or nothing if they think it's going to go somewhere,or
if they think they'll be able to soak up excess groupies,free beer, etc.
Or
you can find a  wacko subculture to become the soundtrack for.
For  eccentrics like Ted-well I'm sure there aren't any others like
him,but
aside from old style polite quiet poetrey readings,there is the Poetry
Slam
movement,which prides itself on intensity, and dynamic delivery (Which can
be torturous as well)Playing inventive music in such scenes can be very
good
indeed,artistically if not financially.I've performed with poets a number
of
times-great times. Art openings are another potential place to be heard by
people with adventurous tastes,and generally include free wine and food.
It's of course crucial to put out a mailing list next to the CDs and swag
during all such outings.