RE: A poll--shoes off? (was RE: video: ableton live)

when I posted I kinda expected a couple of deepgeek loopers to casually
say,
yeah, cool.

I didn't expect tips on tabi boots or the really nice feedback (thanks!) or
a ferocious battle over socks and shoes or "Goo-goo-ka-joob!" (?, I mean,
obviously, I am the walrus and all that, but ???)

before I address some of the ableton issues that have flowed through here I
would like to declare:
1) I play gigs standing, and unless it is impossible, barefoot.  I have
mistriggered too many times when clod.  but this also depends on the
trigger/button - the fcb1010 has nice flat triggers.

2) unless your monitors are insanely great (the bose personal amplification
system is almost perfect) your looping will suffer, and when you're mixing
4
or 8 or more loops, the mix will suffer.  so it's headphones for me.  dj
style on stage.

your words, my thoughts:

>>Ahh, but what about basic record/overdub/multiply/half-speed and reverse
functions? I >>could get by with those...any software out there (on PC?)
definitely look at live - I can think of pretty easy ways to do all of your
"basics".  half-speed and reverse are built in, triggering those by foot
might present a bit of a challenge.  a lot of your eventual success with
live revolves around your ability to ditch your preconceptions and learn to
think like a german.

>>PS I have the Live that came with Protools. Not the full version. Worth
using?
download the live 4 demo from ableton.com.  they (ableton) don't let you
you
save sets unless you pay, which (you'll see) is akin to dealing crack.  but
I think it is best to evaluate the most recent package, the synth is
awesome
and the midi capabilities completely change the world.

>>Light, comfy, and sensitive enough to hit small switches while standing
>on
one foot in >>the dark.
I'd like to attend this gig....

>>I couldn't decide which audio interface to get. So, while taking my
>>sweet time to make up my mind, I just hooked up the computer like any
>>old piece of gear. I've got two outs from my preamp: one goes into the
>>miniplug "in" of the powerbook, and the other goes to the Repeater. The
>>only thing I've added was a midi to usb cable. Then the miniplug "out"
>>of the powerbook goes into my little mixer that lives at the end of the
>>signal chain. It's worked fine for all of the 4 weeks I've been doing
>>it (and I still can't decide which portable audio interface to get). Is
>>this insane?
this is a solid way of doing it.  an external audio interface would be
superior, it could be rack mounted, those mini stereo cables can get
dislodged easily (and, sometimes, as they become dislodged, damage your
powerbook audio port).  m-audio and edirol make good interfaces for use
with
live.  one of the m-audio interfaces has a send/return that would be
perfect
for use with the repeater (plus it has 2 headphone jacks).

if you're in an experimental mood put the repeater between the preamp and
the laptop.  this way you can use live's most excellent effects on your
repeater loops.  dedicate a live channel to the incoming mix of live audio
and repeater audio and put the efx in that channel, not on the master.  eq,
resonator, delay, maybe a gate in front if you're having feedback problems.

eventually, the repeater will become redundant.  it's sweet to have the
volume sliders, but you could do that with a uc-33.  and then you could
control 8 channels instead of 4.  tap tempo, bouncing tracks are pretty
easy
in live as well.

>>overdub, feedback and time-stretch/transpose. Then I would use a midi
>>pedal to trigger Live clips that send the data to the four Repeater
>>tracks to transpose into certain chord changes. That would be awesome!
you could do something similar with the simpler in live4, load it with a
sample, precede it with the midi chord effect.

>>Live is so much more convenient to program than a FCB1010!!!
this is one of the most important reasons to use live.  normal human beings
can now cope with midi!  it is absurdly simple to setup controllers.  and
the tactile control this provides you over your loops/channel efx/main efx
allows you to play live like a musical  instrument.

are you actually still reading this obscenely long love ode to live?
really?  well, hopefully this will make it worth it:
http://jamespatten.com/audiopad/

kim