Re: Sound insulating doors in a studio space

--- "Emile Tobenfeld (a.k.a Dr. T)" <emile@foryourhead.com> wrote:

> My wife and I are buying a house, and we know that there is some
> sound leakage between the room that will be my studio and the  room
> that will be our bedroom. The leakage is almost entirely through the
> doors, so our first pass at dealing with it will be to put sound
> insulation on the studio and bedroom doors.
>
> Anyone have suggestions on suitable material that is reasonably easy
> to put up, looks reasonable, and can be taken down without damage
> should we sell the house at some time in the future? If you are
> Boston based, and do, or know someone who does, this kind of work,
> please let me know.

Regular stick-on weatherstripping will help seal the doors, but the
biggest sound
leak will usually be at the bottom, since interior doors don't usually
have a
threshold. Adding a threshold with a rubber seal will help quite a bit.
Replacing
the hollow core interior door with a solid core (exterior) door can help
quite a
lot too.

If that doesn't give you enough sound reduction, you may have to consider
things
like adding a false wall a few inches inside one of the rooms, to provide
more
isolation. Possibly with added mass if bass transmission is a problem.
Auralex
makes a limp-mass vinyl product that could be helpful without taking a lot
of
extra space.

Greg