Re: a general question

--- Lance Chance <lrc8918@louisiana.edu> wrote:
> whoever cares to reply.   you consider your loop work:
>
> 1 totally ambient, atonal, arrhythmic
> 2
> 3 a little of both, some of both (rhythmic, but atonal) (atonal, but
> rhythmic)
> 4
> 5 song oriented, rhythmic, tonal
>
> i'm just curious.   i do both.  right now i'm mainly working with some
> pretty freaky vocal stuff.  a "1" from above.  however, i have done lots
>of
> guitar and bouzouki work that was very "musical" or "song oriented".
>i'm
> sure this question has been brought up before, but the list changes all
>of
> the time.  also: why do you do what you do and what do you think of the
> other side of the coin?

The problem is that there's a LOT of space between 3 and 5. Things that are
harmonic and rhythemic, and yet, not "song oriented". Most of my looping
fits
somewhere in there. I don't plan out songs, it's freely improvised, yet,
it's not
atonal, and it generally develops a rhythm, but it never ends up sounding
like a
pop song, ABABCAB, or whatever.

Greg