Re: EDP "Next Loop" question

At 02:54 AM 9/24/2001, Om_Audio wrote:
>First of all - I am thouroughly surprised that the EDP and my DR-5 stay
>in
>sync for hours- I expected drift rather soon but it is working great- I
>am
>VERY happy about this fact-

well, it is designed to do that, so it shouldn't be that big of a
surprise. :-)

>  I would like to go to a next loop but have it blank rather than copy
>the
> previous loop automatically- I WANT it to copy the first or second loop
> but on the 3rd or 4th I would like to create a fresh addition while
>still
> synced to midi- any insight appreciated-
>
>Cliff

time for you to move on to a slightly more advanced technique, where you
can fully choose what the echoplex does when it arrives at a new loop!

Right now, you have LoopCopy on I'm assuming, which automatically does the
copy whenever you go to a new loop. That's helpful when you are learning,
or really want things automated.

You can activate this manually as well. Since you are using midi sync I
assume you have the SwitchQuantize function on, which forces the loop
switches to happen exactly at the next cycle point. Notice what happens
when you press NextLoop early. The echoplex goes into a waiting period as
it finishes up the current loop, with "ooo" displayed on the screen.
During
this waiting period you can select what you want the echoplex to do when
it
switches. For example, if you press Record it will be recording when it
switches. If you press Overdub, it will be overdubbing. If you press
NextLoop some more during this wait time, you can select which loop it
will
switch to, so you can jump easily to any loop.

To do a sound copy, press "multiply" during the wait time. When it
switches
it will do the copy, same as it does with the automatic method. If you
want
to copy the time base only, with new audio, press "insert". Using Multiply
and Insert for this becomes intuitive when you realize that doing a sound
copy on the Echoplex is really the same as doing a multiply into a new
loop. It is very handy because you can immediately be adding new material
to the loop as it copies in real-time, and you can allow the copy to
continue adding multiples of your original as long as you leave it going.
Similarly, just copying the time base is like doing an Insert into a new
loop. It lets you copy as many cycles of time as you like while you add
new
material at the same time.

This method gives you a lot more control and flexibility, but of course
you
have to be more involved in the process. :-)  It is a lot of power though,
and all available in real-time, and all possible with fairly minimal
effort
while you otherwise play another instrument.

Similarly, you could have SwitchQuant set to "Cnf" for confirm, which
allows you to put the echoplex into the waiting period when you press
Next,
same as before. Except now it doesn't switch automatically when the
current
loop ends, it waits for you to confirm the switch with some action. When
you press something, then it switches. We use the "undo" button for the
simple confirm, so it switches to the new loop immediately when you press
undo. (which is not very intuitive, but there wasn't any other button to
use. :-)   Press Next is like above, it lets you preselect which loop you
are going to, and then you press undo to confirm it and switch immediately
to that loop. Pressing Record switches immediately and starts recording.
Multiply and Insert do the copies, like above. Overdub starts you
overdubbing. This gives you quite a bit of flexibility and control, but
probably you will want to practice it a bit to make sure you understand
it.
I find the confirm mode really helpful when you are working with very
short
loops. the regular SwitchQuant will switch too fast with the short loop
times, so Confirm mode gives you time to set things up.

This is actually in the manual, under "SwitchQuant".

hope this helps,
kim