Re: Feedback control

At 2:08 AM -0800 2/27/01, Steve Lawson wrote:
>mysterious things. I do transitions for the most part by sustaining a
>complex, rhythimic tone or texture or melody, and fade out the previous
>loop with the mixer (if I have a free hand) or the expression pedal on the
>DL4, stop the loop, start a new loop of what i'm doing without hearing the
>output from the dl4, then fade out the note while bringing up the dl4
>level and pray I looped it right.
>
>Needless to say, this is a pain in the ass. If I had feedback control, I
>could fade out the previous loop without killing the output of the DL4,
>and I could monitor the new loop while creating it.<<<
>
>Just to throw a vote in for the pedal brigade, I'm happier having
>expression
>pedal control over feedback than I am with a preset feedback control. I
>love
>being able to use the expression pedal to fade in and out, and to bring
>the
>loop level up and down so I can 'trade licks' with the loop, with the loop
>running continuously but being brought up in volume between the phrases
>that
>I'm playing.
>
>feedback control is a nice feature, but it's not vital, and if it was a
>choice between expression pedal control or variable feedback, I'd go with
>the expression pedal...

hmm, you kinda lost me there too. Are you confusing output volume control
with loop feedback control? They are quite different from each other and
serve very different purpose. Like dt was saying, output volume just needs
a volume pedal or mixer, which is easy to do. Feedback on the other hand,
needs to be built into the device to really do the job well. With feedback
you have the power to evolve your loop from point a to point b to point c,
which is a whole other degree of expression. The loop is no longer a static
sample, its a steadily changing, living thing.

kim