Re: out

At the risk of keeping this conversation from going further out (which
would be much better: OT = out), a few corrections to my writing to
clarify the image I thought was in my head:

Being out is great, but getting there, while subverting peoples'
perceptions of specific form (and even meaning) and undermining their
points of reference, is twice the fun!  Of course, hyperspace jumping to
other things is just as great.  (But for the jump to have meaning, the
former must have been experienced, and, in so lingering, affects the
latter--the shift is still experienced, reconsituted, retrospectively,
even if after the piece.  The transition is contructed after the fact, the
meaning transpl . . .  hey, what is this bullshit?!?

Jazz, for me, is all about the improvisational aspects of that music
against a backdrop or history of some form (what was once blues, although
now any notion will do: improvize over "Music for Sub Atomic Particles"),
and so, in that it is improvisational, always goes out, no matter how
dusty the can from which it springs.

Regarding composed music, yes, of course every piece is heard and written
in a context, which is what I meant by the "illusion that each piece is
original."  Schoenburg understood that, once a music becomes a genre, it
can be said to adhere generally to a certain set of rules.  He wrote a
music theory book codifying the Baroque.  He wrote the rules to his own
type of music to be intentionally different from other music (and then,
for the sake of making it musical, broke them).

I think we're in agreement.  So, now that I've drawn up the contract to
our agreement, you can send two cents remuneration to Escaping Da
Loop, 2001 Navel Gazer Blvd., Berkeley, CA 94704.

:)
Neal

P.S., if S had become a janitor, he may, over the course of his lifetime,
had been better able to expose more young minds to his music.  Or don't
American high schools have music piped into their bathrooms?