Re: audience for 'out' music = derivitative of jazz

"Well, there are some people whose influence is so vast and far-reaching
that it impacts an entire zone of music."

Yes, true, but there is a difference between influencing someone directly and changing the an entire genre...
Like, what if I'm influenced by Sonic Youth but not Branca (Marsalis; not Armstrong ;))? Does it make that much difference in the music I'm going to make or the audience? Not being indignant here. I don't claim to have answers to these questions; that's why I pose them.

"after a decade of alternative rock and hip-hop being mainstream musics, I think a lot of listeners'
ears have been tuned to more abrasive and unconventional sounds"

I agree here too. This was sort of the point I was trying to make w/the SY example...this stuff's been on the airwaves for awhile now and I think we're starting to see the 'fruits' of it...if you see it as positive, which I do. We'll see what long term effects the mainstreaming of such sounds have, I guess.

thanks for the dialog

I didn't know there's a Merzbow box!

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Auctions - Buy the things you want at great prices!