RE: R: opinions on analog - USB converters

USB was actually created by Intel. It took them and Microsoft forever to
convince PC makers to replace serial connectors and keyboards and such
with it. (that still hasn't really happened....)  For a long time it
looked like it would never take off at all. Apple took a big risk and
put it on the market first, and in the process helped Intel out a lot to
get USB established. Apple didn't invent it though.

That has nothing to do with whether it works well for audio or not.
Audio over USB has always been considered tricky. It just wasn't
designed to do that. I think you will find that people either used a
clever and rather expensive method that works ok, or they use a lot of
buffering to make up for the problems at the expense of latency. I
imagine you will find some proprietary implementations that are pretty
good, and plenty of cheap ones that are awful. So far as I know, none of
them have been good enough to get a dolby logo approval or anything like
that.

kim