Re: Acoustic/Koto with Paper Clifps for PREPARING LOOPABLE INSTURMENTS

John,   Thanks for the cool ideas   I can't wait to try out that tube in
the
air hole idea!!
.another cool snare drum trick is to use a wide open (no muffling)
ambassador or similar head and tune the snare drum so that it has a decided
pitched ringing overtone.   Then playing a rimshot with your right hand put
the tip of a stick onto the drum head and start transcribing different
sized
circles on the head with your left hand.   You can get beautiful, dolphin
like overtone manipulations which you can control rhythmically.
The stick must touch the head but not be putting pressure on it.
Also, there is the beautiful simple technique of playing the bell with the
sideways butt end of a stick whilst
using your left hand flattened out and making parallel rapid movements
against the bell (without dampening
it very much).  this has a very pronounced phase effect on the bell, which
can be controlled rhythmically.
This works best on large bells on very heavy ride cymbals.

Richard,    I have been going to Radio Shack, lately, and building little
contact mics out of piezo buzzers.
Are these the kinds of contact mics you are talking about?   Do you buy
them
or make them.
BTW,   I loved the ball bearings to bowling balls routine.    I would love
to try some of the things you talked about.
Alas,   I don't have access to the mega-expensive instruments,  the timpani
and the grand piano (that people don't object to rolling a bowling ball
down
;-)    There are some distinct advantages to being in the avante garde
classical musical world, associated with institutions of higher learning.
Access to equipment is definitely one of them.   Thanks for all of the
creative ideas.

BTW,    for those of you unfamiliar with Richard Zvonar's work,  I highly
recommend that you check out this very,
very creative musician/sound technician.

Loopers Delight Rocks.   Thanks for all the great tips, guys.
Keep up the stimulating, creative posts.

yours,   Rick Walker  (loop.pool)