MPC 2000 techniques

I have a few questions for all you Akai MPC 2000 users out there:

- how do you set up several track layers, and turn them on and off again
using the pads? this is something I would really want to use live.
(sorry, my manual is in French and I'm having problems finding this
function)

- have any of you been using it to set up sequences with MIDI commands
for controlling loopers and other stuff?

I would appreciate hearing anything concerning live usage of the MPC
2000 etc. - thanks in advance!

rob
-the man cable-