Re: MPC 2000 techniques

>I have a few questions for all you Akai MPC 2000 users out there:
>
>- how do you set up several track layers, and turn them on and off again
>using the pads? this is something I would really want to use live.

>From the Main Screen, move the cursor to the Track On/Off field, press the
Open Window button and you will then be in the Track mute screen. Here each
of the 64 sequencer tracks is assigned to a seperate drum pad and can be
turned on and off in real time as the sequences are playing.

>(sorry, my manual is in French and I'm having problems finding this
>function)

The MPC manuals are available as Adobe Acrobat .PDF documents, as well as
OS upgrades, from the Akai EMI website, it's address is...

http://www.akai.com/akaipro/index.html

Click on Downloads from the menu, there you will find the .PDF manuals for
the different MPC2000 OS version, there is a version 1.0 manual, plus
updates for OS versions 1.31, 1.50, 1.70. There is a link to the actual OS
updates as well.

Also, there is a free Sounds download page, where each month Akai posts a
free set of MPC2000 sounds, as well as a free set of S-Series sampler
sounds.

>- have any of you been using it to set up sequences with MIDI commands
>for controlling loopers and other stuff?

I have been using it for controlling other gear from the sequencer, not
loopers, but normal MIDI synths and samplers.

>I would appreciate hearing anything concerning live usage of the MPC
>2000 etc. - thanks in advance!

A good place for this sort of question would be the Akai mailing list,
discussing mostly Akai samplers and MPCs, it's subscribe info is as
follows...

  Welcome to the Akai samplers mailing list.  As the name implies,
  this list exists to discuss all models of Akai sampler, from the
  S612 to the S3200XL.  This list is not moderated, but please try
  to stay on topic.

  Messages to the list go to "akai@cloudfactory.org".