RE: Yamaha NS10s

>To further assist our friend with his buying decision, does anyone have
>an opinion on powered vs. unpowered monitors?  Many manufacturers are
>now making the same speakers in both versions.  Is using a separate amp
>still the best way to go?

A good powered monitor is the way to go. A case in point is the Meyer HD1.
That way each aspect of the system can be optimized for that system. If you
throw any old amp at it, you have to design the speaker to be used with a
wide variety of amps that cna have a lot of different variables, from
impedance (which changes with frequecy, an 8 ohm speaker is actually 8 ohms
for a very small portion of its range) and damping factor, etc. It's also
easy to biamp with a powered monitor. this is  a very good way to go, since
you don't lose power and smear signal through a passive crossover. The HD1s
are powered and biamped and in some ways are the most painful speakers to
listen to because they reveal EVERYTHING, but mixes always translate well
with them. You would want to have them as stereo speakers as much as you
would want NS10s, ie. not at all. So, get powered and biamped if possible.
If you have an extroardinary power amp lying around, get unpowered over
powered, non biamped. Otherwise, get the powered version.

Edwin

Edwin Hurwitz
Boulder CO
http://www.indra.com/~edwin