RE: Yamaha NS10s

About 8 months ago I went to upgrade my speakers (you don't even want to
know what I was using) and the sales guy at Sam Ash in NY demo'ed the
KRK's for me.  Although they look very strange (they are shaped sort of
like an A frame) I thought they sounded great - loads of bass, decent
mid's.  However, for reasons I still can't fathom I foolishly bought the
NS10's and now I deeply regret it.

You should also check out the JBL 2 way speakers as well.  They don't
have all that flat a response, but they do sound great - a friend of
mine even uses them as his stereo speakers.

To further assist our friend with his buying decision, does anyone have
an opinion on powered vs. unpowered monitors?  Many manufacturers are
now making the same speakers in both versions.  Is using a separate amp
still the best way to go?