RE: speaker question again

>In your experience, Edwin, what are good speakers to look for?

It's been a long time since I auditioned speakers. It really depends on
your budget and what you want them for. Do you want to make good sounding
mixes or do you want your music to sound nice? Those are two different aims
and different speakers excel at either one, but few speakers accomplish
both. rec.audio.pro has a lot of info about what people in the business
think about all kinds of things including speakers.
        For my next set of speakers for using with my computer I am very
tempted to look into a set from speakerkits.com but if I were to drop some
cash I would probably look into the Mackies. My first step would be to go
to my local pro audio store (Wind Over the Earth here in Boulder) and check
out what they had and what they thought and I would bring some mixes I
loved and hated to audition the speakers. Right now I had a pair of ADS
speakers from the early 80s that I use mostly because I know them real well
and they don't have a bloated low end. They seem to image fairly well and
have a reasonably balanced frequency range. I power them with an NAD
amplifier. It's not a super accurate system, but it works for my purposes
for now.
        To my mind and ear, speakers are the most difficult part of the
signal chain and thus the most important to really deal with.  You must
learn the shortcomings of every speaker that you listen to. If you have
deep pockets, check out the Meyer HD1 or whatever they currently have.

I hope this helps,

Edwin

Edwin Hurwitz
Boulder CO