Steel drum mike

>A very
>knowledgeable friend has suggested that I use a Sennheiser 421 to mic the
>pan
>but I'm not sure its giving me a good frequency response from the
>distance of
>15" or so. The output produced sounds rather subdued - not the brilliance
>that
>is characteristic of a good steel pan.
>
>Can anyone suggest a better mic, still fairly directional - so that other
>ambient sounds aren't easily captured in the loop, but will give me a
>wider
>spectrum, particularly in the top end??

It would depend on how much you can afford to spend. What kind of mic pre
are you using? Does it have phantom power? if so I would reccomend
an AKG 414. It is a good all around condenser mic that has alot lot
less of a proximity effect than a 421, with a better high end.
Even better would be AKG's SE 300 B small diaphram condenser mic.
It would be a little more focused than the 414, tighter pickup pattern.
You can get exchangeable capsules for them also.
Good luck!
Eric