Re: Need Looping Microphone Advice!

>OK, so here's what I'm trying to do.
>
>I'm developing a piece for steel pan (steel drum) primarily using a
>series of
>loop cycles in a number of contrasting sections interspersed with a
>couple of
>"long tone" - cadenza type passages. I am currently using an overhead mic
>input into a JamMan > passed through an effects processor (to produce a
>stereo
>signal and generally "fatten" the sound) > out to the PA.  A very
>knowledgeable friend has suggested that I use a Sennheiser 421 to mic the
>pan
>but I'm not sure its giving me a good frequency response from the
>distance of
>15" or so. The output produced sounds rather subdued - not the brilliance
>that
>is characteristic of a good steel pan.
>
>Can anyone suggest a better mic, still fairly directional - so that other
>ambient sounds aren't easily captured in the loop, but will give me a
>wider
>spectrum, particularly in the top end??
>
>This piece will be recorded for broadcast on national radio (in Canada)
>and
>needs to sound as good as possible. Plus, I find that I'm really getting
>into
>the "loop thing" and if I can get good results from this project then I'll
>probably become a looper for life.
>
>As usual, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
>
>P. Ormandy
>"drumworker@aol.com"

Well, a good condensor mic will give you the brilliance you're looking for,
but you might have trouble with distortion and/or feedback   If you want to
stick to dynamic mics, I recommend a Sennheiser 441.  These are the silver,
long, (rectangular cross-section) mics, that have been around for ages.
They are quite expensive ($600 new, $300-$350 used, here in the states),
but they sound GREAT, especially for getting those higher frequencies that
a condensor mic bring out  (and you won't have a problem with distortion or
feedback).  They also have a "presence" switch to boost the high end, in
case you need even more.  I've used them on violin, tabla, and they really
bring out the higher tones.  They're almost too bright for vocals,
especially female vocals.  Probably would sound great for steel drums.
Good luck!

Chris Chovit
avec@gomez.jpl.nasa.gov
 AVIRIS Experiment Coordinator      pager #: (888) 415-4547