Re: "This thing should not exist!" or: Pain through Quadrophonics

On Oct 18,  9:41am, Chris Chovit wrote:
> Subject: Re: "This thing should not exist!" or: Pain through
>Quadrophonics

> Collier -- you mentioned  something once about an octophonic setup...can
> you give some details on that.  I would love to continue a thread on the
> spatial aspect of looping - ie. using loops to create sound spaces.
>
> - Chris

yeah, that's neat stuff. if you had the lights off you would think all the
sounds real/live/living/livid and then scary.

one of the grads here is steve copel. he has been studying under alvin
lucia
(very famous for electronic music and purity of). they spent most of last
year working with a system called the LARUS which is a
superexpensivehighend
Lexicon device. so, what they did (under a guy named jaffey) was create a
score with this device to play the space in a given room. you can turn up
the
feedback all the way and not have your reverb feed back.

with the same system copel wrote several pieces with 8 channels to da-88
with
8 neuman mics next to 8 speakers(not on at the same time).
some of the pieces were simply recording 8 channels at once whilst pacing
around in circles. another was sliding chairs through the recording
field/room. this evolved into steve doing 8 channel overdub e-bow on
lapsteel
stuff.

the neatest thing is when the frequencies converge in various channels and
then drift out. talk about mood altering

I've done a six channel piece here. it was with 3 stereo pairs and not 8
identical but separate channels.

we did some studies on "musique electroacoustique" ... ie performing from
the
mixing console to an audience. i'm not sure what I learned, other than
feeling uncomfortable at stepping on Stockhausen's toes(not to mention
Varese).
this was all multichannel.

did I say anything? or was that another ramble?

point is, yeah... I'm working toward doing an 8 channel performance. using
tannoy pbm8's and samson amps through a mackie 8 bus board. the problem is
getting something inspirational out of my guitarsynthlooping rig for that
many channels without simply using 50-100 mil delays for
separationeffectomolosis.

collier