Re: Amplification

On 9 Oct 1996, Teed Rockwell wrote:

> Paolo,
>
> I've tried both of your solutions. The built in line out from my amp
>sounds
> better than no amp at all, but not as good as the sound of the amp
>itself. I
> record by miking my big amp, and wish I had a small amp that had the
>same great
> tone. Any suggestions?

Have you tried a Marshall or Kolbe speaker load box?  These devices
put a big reactive load on the amp, enough to preclude the need for a
speaker (so they're big boxes with heat sinks, not some little teeny
thing like the Red Box), and they make the power tubes behave they way
guitarists expect.  You can also use them to just drag the volume down
to reasonable levels for your regular speakers.  I've heard the
Marshall Power Brake and it's quite impressive.

There are also a few flea-power amps on the market these days for
studio recording.  You might want to look into one of those <10 watt
amps, so you can drive the power tubes hard without driving the
neighbors to violence.  :}

By "beauty," I mean that which seems complete.
Obversely, that the incomplete, or the mutilated, is the ugly.
Venus De Milo.
To a child she is ugly.
   -Charles Fort              dstagner@icarus.net