Old LP1 upgrade problem

Hi all,

I've been trying to connect my 2006 LP1 through ethernet directly to my laptop to upgrade the OS via a browser...unfortunately I can't get the connection to work.  Here's what I'm doing:

1) Set LP1 as follows from my 1.20 manual:

IP:  192.168.99.2
Gate:  192.168.99.1
Netmask: 255.255.255.0

2) Set laptop ethernet:properties:Internet Protocol Version 4 to the exact same settings as the LP1.
3) Open browser and try to connect with: http://192.168.99.2 but it eventually times out.
4) I've tried with both a regular ethernet cable and a crossover cable...no connection.
5) I've also tried letting the laptop dynamically determine the IP, Gate, Netmask...no connection.

I'm going nuts trying to get this simple connection to work with no success.  Am I missing something obvious???

Thanks!
Dennis