Re: RC505 bumps

The Infinity looper from Pigtronix lets you specify multiplications of the first loop length, 2, 3,4 and 6 times longer. I don't know whether it's easy or hard for a visually-impaired person; I am totally IN AWE of anyone who can even breathe and... remember to beat their heart and stuff, even eat in that state, much less record music? Much of the settings on the Infinity are soft little rubber buttons which move small and not-too-bright lights around to indicate status, I have to use a flashlight and I'm not impaired (not THATaways...) There isn't like a positive "STOP" feeling or click from the buttons. For my own self, I have become very wary of "moving out the old, in with the new" regarding musical equipment for that very reason you mention. It sometimes seems like some of my favorite, easiest functions get "improved" right outta the newest bestest improved versions of stuff. DON'T DUMP TILL YOU KNOW - I've had many horses leave the barn before I figured that one up! And for my own stuff again, I have just bit the bullet and acknowledged that sometimes going back and forth from one machine to another is a LOT easier mentally for me than trying to take full advantage of the trickery built inside a single, multi-multi-multi-finction device. It ABSOLUTELY means a higher buildup of noise, I don't "quantize" well so sometimes it's real hard to get myself all coordinated, and I am surely NOT "taking advantage" of all the hoopla and trickery I paid for - BUT IT WORKS.

Once I accept a certain level of bone-headedness as fundamental, I can be smarter... like one dumb easy trick is that rather than trying to coordinate with some click or metronome TRACK, just use an entirely external, $8 metronome that NEVER does get recorded onto anything. I'm also using free recording software "Audacity" as my end-of-the-line storage, whether temporary or permanent. While I'm sure self-sufficiency is a touchstone for you, I would bet that if you can find someone familiar with that or Ableton etc., they could set up some sort of basic, maybe eight or ten command interface that would at least let you save EVERYTHING, even if it requires more sorting out later.

I am guessing, but is it easier for you to have MORE buttons that each do a lot and LESS jumping here and there to get combinations of functions? Like a MIDI switching device can be programmed to execute a set of software AND even some hardware responses, poke ONE button and it does overdub/save, another button and it does replace/save and on and on. The difficulty lies in deciding which functions are most useful and getting someone to install that, not whether it can be done. For that matter Dave Koltai at Pigtronix is quite a problem-solver, AND their devices are all software upgradable via USB. If you and he figured out a list of cool useful command combinations he might find that to be very useful for a lot of other people... I play steel guitar and very shortly after I e-mailed Pigtronix my typical "steel guitarists got no frets to save us, we CAN'T stop and LOOK for buttons OR footswitches!" bitchy rant, he personally got back to me, figured out how to separate the up from the down and built me a nifty little footswitcher de-luxe that fixed many things. A bit of which then showed up as product. I STILL, to this day, when I see a box with several footswitches and lots of what are clearly HAND-switches, I'm like... "Well, DUH. What IS this fucking thing supposed to BE?" It is beneath my DIGNITY to go crawling around on the floor while creating my ART! Ummm, well actually, I'm 59 years old with bad discs, and once I'm down there the odds of getting back up anytime soon are diminishing almost weekly, it seems. Might be worth dropping him a line, if any of this rings a bell.