Re: Rhythm Question

For what it's worth, you guys should definitely check out the real time sampling Drum Machine/Sequencer called WERKBENCH on iOS (for iPads,iTouch, iPhone).

This ingenious program lets you program a rhythm silently into the machine and then sample what ever sound you want to populate that rhythm.

It has two simultaneous 16 note grids that can be chained to many more grids to play in sequence. What's hip about it, is that you can determine (in real time, what the first and last note of your sequence is, which allows one to play any time signature against another time signature (not polyrhythmically, but using the same 'SUB PULSE' for all the rhythms you are using).

You can then play with pitch, panning, volume, delay, filtering, envelope either of each individual sample, or universally.

You can really play it like a real time instrument. I can't say enough good things about it and, the audience sees you sample and program it in real time, so they get that cool 'creation' vibe; get that you are making all the music and not just pressing play on a drum machine.

Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aeY40bVfv0

Rick

MARK HAMBURG WROTE:
So, calling the first rhythm A B and the second rhythm C D, you get a six
bar cycle:

        A+C B+D A+C B+C A+D B+C

That would seem to be 2 vs 3 but yes, I can see where that would work nicely. I don’t know of
anyone hardware drum machines that make that easy (even if you have two machines). Maybe in software,
but even there I’m not sure it’s something that’s readily available.

Is there a benefit to building it this way over just creating a two-bar
pattern and a three-bar pattern?

Mark

---