Steampunk Looping with an Edison Phonograph?

Hey, everyone.

Since I've moved to a new state and old stuff is really cheap here, I
bought an old Edison phonograph - Diamond Series from the 1920s. The cool
part is that it is crank wind-up motor powered, so no electricity!

However, you can also change the speed of the turntable, adjust the
volume, and so forth, so the thing is more flexible in function than I had
suspected at first. The motor still works, the turntable spins quietly and
on the level, and all of the controls operate, too.

I tried playing one of the old records, but the old needle is completely
shot, but I want to try to experiment using alternatives to the needle to
produce sound. The old Edison records reproduced sound by up and down
vibration movement, but if I somehow put a modern stylus on there, I think
I could have a lot of fun. Or, who knows what else I could slap on there
to make music.

I've been really intrigued by the whole steampunk style, and wondering
what steampunk music might be like. Maybe this is a step towards figuring
that out.

Peace and adventure,
Michael Carlson