Re: reducing "time to setup"--

I'm in agreement with a lot of the discussion here. My RC300 is a godsend with having the ability to have loops if different lengths. One thing I wanted to add is the idea of less is more. Being a more pop-centric looper myself, it was really important to keep song lengths down, because a whole set of looped songs can really wear an audience down. For many a listener, the novelty wears off after a few songs. My only suggestion for keeping them around while not 'cheating' is literally using less layers. Yes, the album version of your song sounds great with tripled takes of everything, but looping often becomes masturbatory and we fail to take the audience into account. Pare it down, keep it smaller to just essentials. It might make a difference of minutes (on top of everything else others have suggested). Also, talk to the audience - while your loop is busy closing/cying through, take that 'down-time' to engage them with "how's everyone doing tonight?", "are you ready to rock?!" etc (pardon my rock and roll background).

My $0.05 (Canada is phasing out the penny)