Re: livelooping workshops

On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 7:22 PM, Art Simon <simart@gmail.com> wrote:
> Fascinating post! I'm not sure I understand "looping as a way to execute
> all
> the classic tape music techniques in real-time." Would what Terry Reiley
> did
> with pitch shifting and cutting sound in and out

Well, not precisely Terry Riley, as his machine "Time-Lag Accumulator"
was more of a live performance project and of later date, but well
Pierre Schaeffer! Schaeffer in Pars was already by 1948 doing what we
do today by using audio printed to vinyl records. In 1950 he made a
shift to start using tape recorders instead. It's interresting that
today's digital looper processing of audio are almost the same as
cutting and pasting tape in Schaeffer's laboratory in Paris. Not very
surprising on second thought though, since a tape loop and a repeating
chunk of digital audio data give similar results on processing like
reversing the data flow, changing the rate etc etc.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com
http://www.youtube.com/perboysen