Re: Any decent Midi/USB keyboards these days? (37keys/aftertouch; Sculpture)

Doepfer seem to get good reviews. They're one of the few (perhaps only) companies making dedicated controller keyboards without all the plasticy bells and whistles - just really solid key-beds and nothing else. Only downside is they're pretty expensive and look like they weigh a ton.

It does seem as though the only way to get a good, compact keyboard these days is to get one with a synth built in! I understand why manufacturers want to pack their controllers with all this distracting junk but I think there's a really big gap in the market for a simple, solid, compact, reasonably priced midi keyboard. Just a keyboard and a pitch wheel/joystick and maybe a ribbon controller. I know I'd buy one. I don't know how many threads on message boards I've read where people are looking for just that. Just something you can sit down in front of and play as an instrument, without having anything else to look at or think about.

It seems that all Akai, Novation, etc. see when they look at this market is 16 year old wannabe 'producers' who want an entire studio in one box.

Anyway, having said all of that, this not-sixteen-year-old wannabe producer is very excited about Push. Not sure I'll get one - it's hellish expensive - but I will definitely try one out at the first opportunity. As I can't really play keys very well I'd be giving nothing up by learning to play that. But then, as I said: expensive!

Philip.