Re: Tips and Tricks of Gear Organization

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 9:49 PM, richard sales <richard@glasswing.com>
wrote:
> For me, cluttered room = cluttered mind.  Cluttered mind = cluttered
> music.

LOL - I must chime in with a comment to this as I happen to represent
the absolut opposite personality type! I don't even KNOW whether my
room is tidy or messy. When I start working I go into a zone and
everything else simply vanishes around me. My natural state is to NOT
know what day of the week it is, something that annoys the shit out of
some people (so I try to find out now and then what day it is because
I'm a nice guy and don't want to annoys that much shit out of that
many people). And I don't follow the strategy to make decisions of
what I want to focus on... I don't think I have ever made one single
carrer decision in my hole life! Opportunities just come up - often
too many and too often - and I tend to simply go with the most
exciting one, dive deep into it and "get lost" there for a while. I
have found that chaos and not knowing how to do stuff is creatively
productive, given that you just do it anyway while figuring out
how-to's as you're moving along. The key point here is to really
figure it out and finish it up to your highest standard. With that
attitude it doesn't become destructive to goof around  "trying a
little here and something else over there" because since you dive so
deeply into each obsession you come out with valuable experiences and
skills. This is the typical renaissance ideal, most respected back in
the days before specializing in something became the new in thing. Ok,
your learning curve advances more slowly but I strongly believe that
you can achieve things that isn't available if living by the focused
decision-making strategy. Deeper aspects of everything, cross
contamination of neurons... and a hell of a lot of fun.

Please note that I'm not propagating for an unstructured life, rather
for an open mind and not building your inner logical structures on the
outer environment. An example can be to "not learn the gear but learn
what the gear does", or maybe "don't practice where to put down your
fingers on your instrument, practice how the note's vibrations come
together to create music". Focusing on the real thing, but the real
thing is everywhere, all the time - so it's a never ending task ;-)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com
http://www.youtube.com/perboysen