AW: Re: Tayler Variaxs vs GR 55

Nice Per! Right after i sent the mail i saw in youtube a guy comparing the variax and the GR55
It seems that the variax cannot get rid of the warbling when trying to do harmonics on the acoustics
But the GR55 tracks way better,however the overall acoustic sound seems to b better on the variax or so it seems!

From: Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com>;
To: Loopers-Delight <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>;
Subject: Re: Tayler Variaxs vs GR 55
Sent: Sat, Nov 17, 2012 11:55:20 PM

Hi Luis,

I have only tried out the Variax system briefly at guitar fairs, so I
can't say I have any hands-on experience with it. But I have owned a
GR-55 for some time and had a fair chance to get down with it. The
sound is ok AFAIK but the nice thing with the GR-55 is all the effects
that you can patch up in different configurations (well, according to
two optional global routing schematics). You also get a good chance to
sign up pedals and other controllers for effect parmeter control. As
long as using the GR-55 pedal I can not feel any latency in the sound.
Even though I know it is the synthetic COSM modeling, not the physical
vibration from my strings, it feels totally real and musical to play a
guitar through the GR-55 using only the COSM sounds (a few, that are
good... some suck). The COSM + synths track pitch well OMO, here is a
demo recording using a Sitar COSM sound where I play glissando well
over a fifth's range:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4963264/gr55_fretless_demo_sitar.mp3

All the synths that comes with the packages is something I value too.
You can stack two synths behind the COSM, and even blend in the real
pickup output too if you want - but since I use a harp guitar I bring
out the harp strings through the real pickup channel. The guitar neck
is fretless and uses an active EMG humbucker and I don't mind
replacing that sound with the COSM guitar sounds. But when using a
Chapman STick I wouldn't dream about loosing out on the real magnetic
pickup output, because Sticks have s Telecaster like single coil that
gives a shimmer to the sound that just doesn't exist within the COSM
world.

I saw last month at a guitar biz fair that Roland now has a GR-55
Stratocaster type guitar as well, but I think I prefer the GR-55 pedal
with a GK-3 pickup on the guitar.

Hoping someone else has some hands-on experience with the Variax to
post. Would be fun to read :-)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com