Re: MIDI synch multiple loopers/samplers?

On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 8:41 PM, Ben Edwards <astralmnemonics@gmail.com>
wrote:
> How many of you are using multiple loopers/samplers linked together for
> layering?

Not me... :-) Any more.

I have done it, sort of, in the past. Not for layering though, since
sync between devices didn't lock up well. In the slave sync position I
used a multi track looper (Electrixpro Repeater) and since it offered
four parallel mono tracks per loop I used that device for laying down
stuff that I wanted to go tight together, even though I time-shifted
tracks etc inside the box. The Repeater was constantly busy to follow
MIDI Clock signal coming from my main looper, an EDP. So whenever I
changed tempo in the EDP the slave looper fell into an epileptic time
loops and rubber-band-repelled back into a non defined range hovering
around the correct tempo. The EDP though was rock solid so I used that
one for layering parts that need to sit tight with rhythm.

I think this approach is good to use with all MIDI Clock synced
devices; putting "rubber band friendly material" into the slave synced
looper and timing critical stuff in the master sync looper.

Today I use Mobius on a laptop but if I needed to play with several
hardware loopers today I think my first idea would be trying to get
along without any sync at all. I would daisy-chain them and start
looping in the first box and when I run into needing to multiply up
that short loop into several, while adding some long bows, I would
simply kick Record on the second looper and record my new longer loop
together with the spinning (shorter) first loop. With some cables and
a soldering iron one could expand such a hardware looping board into a
hardware ping pong system; put in a foot switch that reverses the
order of the two loopers, empty the one that you just did copy *from*
and now use this unit to copy the second looper's content plus your
new live playing.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com