Re: new Touch page on LL.org

On 14.10.2012, at 15:44, Per Boysen wrote:

> Ok, then. I think it is great with an iOS/Android resource page. Would
> be cool with user reviews of apps there as well.
>
> I'm not sure about the meaning of the first sentence "Touch control is
> the most promising interface for musicians!". If one says something is
> "the most promising" one must explain why.

you are right, its so obvious to me that I did not explain:
- its immeditate, to button delay
- its possble to send feedback to it, so there is not need to look in 2
different places
- its noise free
- its configurable and with tabs, the same surface can switch
configuration instantely
- its light, has long battery life
- its can be used for many other (non musical) purposes
- it may contain the whole audio computer, especially when its a windows
machine

> I can imagine touch control
> is the most promising interface for musicians that operate their
> musical instruments entirely by feet, but that's rare :-).

I do not understand this point... we can easily have a touch screen for
hand operation and another controller for the feet, be it a classic pedal,
Softstep or another touch screen, no?

> For normal musicians I would consider pedal control to be the most
> promising
> interface, for the reason that it can be combined with playing
> instruments. Well not just promising, it is actually delivering.

thats how I understand promising: we do not know yet how far it can go
but maybe there is a better expression?

> But some aspects of the touch screen technology is "most promising" I
> think; that would not be the interface itself but the big number of
> exciting applications being developed for the platform.

maybe this happens because the interface is promising?