Re: Re: City Lights Music Festival and its comparison to a loop fest

On 8/22/12 7:58 PM, Tyler wrote:
Give me the page on loopers-delight.com (NOT a mailing list archive; a
page from
Tools, Tips and Tricks, etc.) that says "This site is for live looping
only! I repeat,
LIVE!" Where does it say that? The home page says the opposite. I
discovered this website when
Googling tape loops, and tape loops are usually prerecorded.

Loopers Delight does not specifically promote the concept of live looping.
In fact, our founder, Kim Flint, was very worried that the preponderance of live loopers
on the forum might overwhelm other modes of using loops in music.

But the fact of the matter is that this forum is populated almost entirely by people
who ARE live loopers.

It sort of is what it is.

Everyone's down with whatever you want to do, whatever you want to listen to, but this is a forum full of intelligent musicians who have strong ideas about all things. If you say, "I love such and such" for whatever reason, you will probably always have
someone say,  "what on earth are you thing"  and a debate will ensue.

Matt Davignon is making a good point about DJs without making any value judgment about
what it is you enjoy (he even carefully said it in his post).

We live in the age of Djs.In fact, probably 50% of all the people I talk to about live looping who don't understand
what it is,  ask, "Oh,  so you mean you are a DJ".

It takes skill to be a DJ and mad skills to be one of the best in the class of performers..........but I agree with Matt when he says that 90% of all DJs are NOT composers, that they are merely cleverly manipulating music that has already been composed and recorded......and almost invariably (though there are rare exception) they are NOT playing music
that they even created themselves.

As a live looping artist, I get really tired (and sometimes bitchy) about being compared to DJs because I've worked so much harder learning how to make music in my life than the lion's share of Djs that I know personally
and the general population frequently doesn't even 'get' that.

Do I value what they do?   Usually, yes and they are ubiquitous.

But I don't think it is wrong to have a sense of pride that we are actually making music from scratch
when we perform in a live looping setting.

You keep coming up against that specific pride that exists in this forum and it seems to continually bug you, but it just is what it is and it doesn't have to take away from anything that you love or wish to do in your own musical life. I believe people in this community support you to like what you like here. It would also be nice for you to accept what it is that most of us actually do, musically, in the same breath.
on this forum in the same breath.