trigger a keyboard press with midi

I don't ever recall seeing this and wondered if anyone knows of a way to do this with a midi foot controller. I'm interested in a simple percussion program but they don't have any way to control it from midi. They do have start, stop and some other comands bound to a key press on the qwerty keyboard and I wondered if there was a way to in turn bind that to a midi pc or cc? I have come across some 3 pedal transcription pedals that will do that but they aren't using midi, or at least I don't think so.

Paul Haslem
www.dulcify.ca
Ontario, Canada