Re: Delay VST PlugIn Survey

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 8:41 AM, Phil Clevenger
<phil.clevenger@gmail.com> wrote:
> What VST delay plug ins are you using and loving?

Two of my fav's are already mentioned: FabFilter Timeless 2 and
SoundToys Echoboy (also great for "vintage reverb").

My third favorite delay is the Tape Delay found in Logic and
Mainstage. The cool thing is its nice emulation of tape speed switch
noise. Timeless 2 also has that BTW, but not so simple and sexy as the
Tape Delay plugin. Too bad it is not a separate plugin and only found
as part of Logic and Mainstage. I think though, that you should be
able to set up a similar tape speed noise dub thing with Augustus
Loop. I don't use Augustus in general, as I do with the one mentioned
above, but for specific tasks where I know that "this thing I want
here is a typical case for Augustus". I kind of use Augustus more as a
looper than for delay effect processing.

For my kind of live looping I like a delay with such speed shift noise
emulations because when I change the tempo, while playing, all such
delays scream and whine in a lovely way.

Since you are using Ableton Live I must say that I like its Ping Pong
Delay as well! Especially since it has a filter that you can set to
sweep a bit by some LFO control routing. For dub feel tweaking one can
set Live's Return Track (that hosts the Ping Pong Delay) to Send into
itself. But be careful not to go into feedback hell. Better slap a
limiter or compressor into the loop. No fancy rubberband feel of tape
speed noise here, but thanks to the filter in the signal path you can
create "climbing shimmer" delays that add a new dimension to your
music (I often do the filter-climb trick with Tape Delay and Echoboy
too).

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com