Re: Re: How often do you listen to your own music?

Once I've really finished a piece, I tend not to listen to it at all for a long, long time.

This has changed in a couple of circumstances in the last few years, however, as I'm self consciously trying to make a video for almost everything I compose, musically (except for singer/songwriter or pop material).

Also, I'm contemplating a project called Self Plagiarism where I'm going back to music I recorded a long time ago (and before my forays into electronic music and live looping) and trying to find interesting loops out of that material to compose new material. I figure I don't have to worry about sample rights if I own the material.

Because of that, I'm going back and systematically listening to tracks I've recorded over the last 30 years to
find things that are interesting to me, still.

Just yesterday, I took a track that my brother Bill and I played with the original incarnation of Worlds Collide....
a track called Silent Spring and slowed the entire track down about 25%.

The whole track is really beautiful played like this.................a simple remix but a nice one. I'll post that soon (it was co-written by Gary Regina, Kevin Moore and Ernie Provencher, Bill and Myself) and is on the CD, "Everything's Changing in the Global Village", a 1990 release as memory serves.

I think it is particularly efficacious to finish a mix and then come back a week later and listen to it 'cold' so that you have some objective distance from the actual making, mixing and mastering process
which can get quite obsessive and , consequently,  musically 'myopic'.

rick walker
*Subject:* How often do you listen to your own music?

I guess this is a rather odd question but I'm curious. Do you only listen to it for improvement? Or do you enjoy listening to yourself just as you would listen to an artist you like?