Re: Switching Echoloop VST Params Using Ableton Dummy Clips

I am thinking I may spend the day exploring Mobius :)

Thanks for your help I think we've gone as far as we can go here !

For clarity though, re:

<<<Hey - I used lots of pushbuttons back in January when doing a gig with
Live! You just click the MIDI Map Mode Switch (in Live), push your
external pushbutton, click the target function in Live (or a hosted
plugin) and watch the incoming MIDI event getting listed with the
binding in the Mapping Browser. Now, I guess that you have not
discovered that you can set an off value as well as an on value for
pushbuttons. At the bottom row you are also able to change the type of
CC# functionality (incremental etc) but that's another story.>>>

Yes that is easy and obvious in Ableton. My problem is that I want many buttons governing a single CC control:

For instance - the  Quantize menu in Echoloop has four options: Off, Loop, Cycle, and Subcycle. I want one button to always activate Loop; and one to always activate Cycle. I can do the first, by mapping my button to the Quantize CC, and setting Min and Max to same, correct, value. The challenge is now wanting another button to hit that same CC with a different min/max value. Ableton will not allow this.

For a four-slot CC like this, it is not so much of a problem, as one can easily map to a knob or fader. But, apply this same scenario to the Subcycles control in Echoloop: a continuous range of 0-127; within that range there are only a few useful settings to me right now: 2, 4, 8, 16, 32. Try hitting those on a fader or knob, in a dark room on a tiny computer screen !  Five buttons... it's all I need... ;)

Never satisfied but mostly happy,

Phil :)

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 2:22 PM, Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 10:39 PM, Phil Clevenger
<phil.clevenger@gmail.com> wrote:
> True: Return tracks (indeed any "Audio To" menu) can see the MIDI track when
> Mobius is in it. The "Audio To" menu now contains 3 options: Left In 2 -
> Mobius 2; Left In 3 - Mobius 2; and Left In 4 - Mobius 2.
>
> Regardless of which is selected in the Return track's "Audio To" menu, the
> Mobius instance in my MIDI track does not receive audio.

Ouch. I didn't check that it is actually working, I only checked that
the path was displayed from the Return Track's "Audio To" slot. Oh
well... sorry about the incorrect information - at least we all got a
little more  knowledgeable now.

> I tested the same config in an Audio track, and Mobius receieves audio from
> the Return track perfectly.

Hurray - you have proved that an Audio Track is better for audio than
a MIDI Track!!!  :-)  Another good-to-know thing in Live.

> SO: to recap: in order to escape the computer and move all interaction to
> physical controllers, I want to create a pushbutton solution to govern
> certain parameters normally governed by CControls. That is not possible with
> standard MIDI learn in the host;

Hey - I used lots of pushbuttons back in January when doing a gig with
Live! You just click the MIDI Map Mode Switch (in Live), push your
external pushbutton, click the target function in Live (or a hosted
plugin) and watch the incoming MIDI event getting listed with the
binding in the Mapping Browser. Now, I guess that you have not
discovered that you can set an off value as well as an on value for
pushbuttons. At the bottom row you are also able to change the type of
CC# functionality (incremental etc) but that's another story.

> So... how to get audio to Mobius in a MIDI track ?

Why not take the completely opposite approach: slap the looper on an
Audio Track and try finding out how to get MIDI to it?

I'm interested in your research because myself I gave up on Echoloop
and went with Mobius instead for Ableton Live (because I had a
deadline). The nice thing with Mobius is that it allows you to set, IN
THE PLUGIN, what MIDI port it shall listen to  and you won't ever have
to bother with Live at all. Just set up the MIDI bindings in the
looper and stay away from any of these confusing signal routing
workarounds of Ableton's.

Per