Request for advice on upgrade from Boss RC-20 particularly related to collaboration format/method

Hello.

I'm writing to ask for advice. I purchased a Boss RC-20* new and have been quite happy for a long time, mostly because I only use it for live looping. That is, I can do everything I want in 5½ minutes and just erase it when I go on to the next song, recording being in the domain of other equipment. Additionally, any loss in fidelity in playback during a performance only highlights the purity of the same in the new layer I'm adding live, so I don't even mind that so much.

However, the ability to "undo" a fail in an overdub has obvious appeal and, after reading dialogs in this group, am considering upgrading. As an "old dog", my first inclination would simply be to consider going to the RC-20XL because it adds that feature and not a lot of stuff I wouldn't use. But after joining this thread, I've been particularly impressed by the expertise (as well as talent) gathered so was hoping tap into it for guidance on perhaps adding another "new trick". If I upgrade to an additional generation, to the Boss RC-3** (or RC-30), I understand there is improved recording fidelity and with it, a USB port to export what it captures.

My question, for those of you in the know.. is the output (.wav) of the newer Boss loop pedals of sufficient quality for collaborative song development with other artists? Additionally, I noted the Loopr demo video*** that someone posted demonstrate the ability to "start the drums and hold the groove via precise MIDI tempo synch"? That's pretty cool if it's really dynamically picking up on the beat and auto synchronizing. I'd love to do that with mine (Boss DR-5) and would be willing to consider another direction completely if one on you knows this ability already exists on loop-pedal I could use as a replacement to my RC-20 (without it being super overkill upgrade for what you understand I'm looking for).

Incidentally, with respect to collaboration, sorry for the newbie question, but is there a (de facto) international standard format, method ? I'm reluctant to invest the time and energy to learn the ins and outs of a site like http://www.kompoz.com (much less future financial compensation) if I could just email files back and forth between myself and an artist with whom I'd like to collaborate, using some kind of software to mix essentially what would be an open standard for music tracks with some special synchronization thread. Sorry for the newbie inquiry, but I've only ever used wave files and overdubbed on my little studio (Boss BR-8). So emailing a file sufficient for collaboration and a synchronized response (that wasn't already premixed/overdubbed) would be a new realm for this old dog. As such, I would greatly appreciate some advice on getting started, even if it was just some recommended reading. Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards and best wishes,

Tony Kane ("Tone")
Chapel Hill, NC
The Tone Crucible