Re: Remix?

I used to do it more than I do now. Sometimes on my radio show, I'll
take well known songs and run them though a process. On the most
recent episode, I did a time-stretch of the chorus from Neneh Cherry's
"Buffalo Stance", then later had Led Zeppelin's "Battle of Evermore"
backwards, and Charlie Daniels Band's "The Devil Went Down to Georgia"
at 1/2 speed. (the link is http://ribosomematt.podomatic.com)

I'm a big fan of time compress & time stretch. (The former makes a
sound shorter without changing the pitch by taking tiny little slices
out of the audio. The latter stretches out a sound by repeating tiny
slices of the audio.) One of my favorite things to do is to bring a
song down to half speed, then time-compress it to its original length.
The song is totally recognizeable, but the rhythm gets noticeably
changed, due to the bits taken out. Another thing I do is to
time-compress a song until it's only 20 or 30 seconds long (by doing
it repeatedly at 3% intervals), then time-stretch it back to the
original length. That creates a nice weird thing where you still get
the chord structure of the original song, but in a way that sounds
completely digitally f'ed up.

On the 6/20 episode, I did a thing to Michael Jackson's "Don't Stop
till you Get Enough", where I pitched it down into a few different
keys, and had different versions overlapping at the same time. Towards
the end I did some noise gating, so only the rhythmic peaks are heard.

When I do actual remixes (which as I mentioned earlier, is pretty rare
these days), I often just treat the original record as source material
and compose something new with it - there's no intention for it to
sound like the original. I'll also use elements from different songs.
The last one I did was for Michael Peters' "Stretched Landscape Remix
Project"
(http://veloopity.bandcamp.com/album/stretched-landscape-remix-project).

--
Matt Davignon