Re: Conversion to Mac!

On Jul 3, 2012, at 8:14 AM, Jeff Larson wrote:

First the copy/paste keys are Command-C and Command-V rather than Control-C and Control-V and
I haven't found a good way to map them.  I get used to it but it drives me nuts when I have
to switch between a Mac and a PC.

I know that is confusing. Even after using a PC at school for 1/2 hour I get confused on my Mac.
I'm not sure if this will help, but if not, more Goggling might find a solution.

Second, I can't stand Finder and the file chooser dialogs.  I am a fast typist, when I want a file the easiest
way for me is to type in the name and have the OS do auto-complete.  Not on a Mac.  Oh no, you're
not supposed to TYPE on a Mac, you're supposed to wiggle and scroll and click for 5 minutes over a deep directory tree.

Default Folder lets you click on a folder in the Finder from within an open dialog in a program thus taking you directly to that folder. This saves a lot of mousing.

And if you want to search, by golly of course you want to search the ENTIRE file system, not the directory you
are currently in.  Yes there's that goofy button under the search box where you can select to search in just
the folder, why the hell isn't this the default?

Autocomplete is in a lot of applications on the Mac and can be turned on or off. In the Finder, if you want to type, type shift-cmd-G and you get go to folder, where you can type the path. Hit the tab to complete the text.
A lot of people hit cmd-spacebar or cmd-opt-spacebar and just start typing in Spotlight as a fast way to get to where they want to go or open a program.

Oh and SoundFourge.  There is not a single commercial or free Mac sound editor that works as well
as SoundFourge and don't waste time suggesting Ardor.  I still do all my .wav file editing on a PC
if I can.

May I suggest Audacity?